Answered By: Milner Reference Librarian Last Updated: Sep 08, 2017 Views: 19
Guest computers are designated to provide convenience to community users who are not currently students or employees of ISU. Because community patrons are able to use Milner resources in the library without University IDs and passwords, library IT is not able to apply the same security guidelines to the guest computers. When using a guest computer, extra precautions are required to safeguard personal information.
Below are some safety tips to follow when using guest computers.
- Do not save files to the computer. Save to an external device like a USB drive, etc.
- Avoid financial transactions that might reveal valuable passwords or personal information such as credit card numbers.
- When using the internet, use the browser tools to delete files and cookies and clear your browsing history.
- Protect any passwords by using the browser’s internet options menu. If in doubt, select the browser help option.
- Consider changing any passwords that were used while on a guest computer.
- When using a webmail account such as Gmail, Hotmail or Yahoo, be sure to use a secure web link.